Detailed flaw inspection of flat metal surfaces
The IVISYS Multi Area Scan system automatically detects flaws in the surface of casted and machined metal objects according to predefined specifications. This is a 100% inspection of all part, each part being carefully analyzed by the system. The analysis identifies visible defects like porosities, burrs and mechanical damages in the machined surfaces.
Depending on the size of the object, the desired process speed, and the size of the defects, we utilize a varying range of different image capture techniques to ensure the desired outcome.
3 Reasons Why
- More than 90% cost reduction preventing further processing of flawed objects
- Detailed inspection of surface defects according to fixed specifications
- Keep a real-time track record and document your production
The video shows how automotive parts are picked up from an assembly line and checked for defects. This is to assure that the parts are free from defects before further assembly. The part is picked up and manually placed in the inspection box. The system responds instantly, showing if the part is OK or not. For high-volume productions, the system comes with a simple interface to a robot PLC.
The system can be adapted to many similar flat types of casted, sintered and machined products. As the machining process exposes previously unseen flaws in the casting, a detailed inspection is essential to ensuring a high quality level of the finished product.
How it works
The Multi Area Scan is a stand-alone system built into a cabinet that prevents external light from disturbing the inspection. The object to be inspected is placed inside the cabinet either manually or by a robot/actuator. In some applications, it might be practical to place the object along guides. When the operator presses start or when a sensor detects the object as ready for inspection, the camera takes a number of high-resolution images. The accompanying computer and software are capable of controlling multiple cameras, should it be necessary to capture more views/angles of the product. Specific lighting is built into the system as it enhances the defects that need to be found.
The system makes an analysis of each image in order to qualify and count the defects based on the specifications of specific visible features in the surface, like porosities, holes, cracks or scratches.
Based on the outcome of the analysis, we can set rules for how to trigger the alarm or control external tasks. The IVISYS Multi Area Scan can inspect different areas for different criteria. Critical areas can be inspected to different rules than less critical areas. Being able to handle such rules, makes the system a lot more capable than manual inspection.
The system logs every inspection performed. This information is valuable not only as a status report of the daily inspections, but can also be used actively in an effort to manage the manufacturing process and lowering waste.
Why should you automate your quality control?
- First – quality control is not only a mean to supply products that meet customer requirements.
- Quality inspection also significantly reduces waste and increases profit further down the production line.
- At best, manual inspection only reduces the number of such defect by a factor of 4-6. In addition, manual inspection is tiresome, why staff normally is rotated at regular intervals to keep their senses sharp.
- Automatic inspection, on the other hand is a tireless, objective, consistent and a fast method to achieve better results instantly. It is also the perfect tool for collecting valuable statistical data and documenting the process towards better profit margins in a no-nonsense way.
- Solid metal frame construction – a complete and fully operational system
- Camera and special light adapted for the specific inspection
- Our advanced IVISYS Pro vision software
- A Microsoft™ based PC
- An I/O controller for machine manipulation and safety
- A touch screen monitor for operating the system and viewing the inspection in real-time
- Output for an alarm function
- Log of start/stop, passed/failed and error type
- The following options are available to extend the function of the system:
- Additional cameras for multiple angles/surface inspections
- A conveyor belt for transport of objects into the area of the camera and out again
- A robot interface, – to manage pick-up and return of objects for inspection
- Additional output/input control according to customer needs
- Customize inspection log according to customer specifications
Support and availability
Through an internet connection subject to the customer’s permissions, IVISYS can check, maintain and upgrade the system as needed. This allows IVISYS to act quickly should a situation need our attention.
IVISYS also offers the product with a designer mode software that enables the trained user to create new inspection jobs and change inspection parameters or even introduce new objects for inspection. Support and assistance in designer mode are also offered by IVISYS for this product
Could ‘Multi Area Scan’ solve problems for you?
Let’s find out! Please, feel free to ask us a question.